Thursday, September 18, 2008

Something old, something new


A lot of new things!! One of the really fun things (in my book) is the actual registering for gifts at various stores. "In my day"....oh, Lord. All that we did was register for china, crystal, and silverware. We didn't register for the contents of a house! I know things have changed. I saw that over the years with various weddings we attended and the accompanying gift registry cards. McKenna took the opposite view of things.


"Do you mean that people IGNORE your registry and buy things that they THINK I'll want?"


Yep. Double yep. That it's how things have been done for centuries didn't even faze her.


Around this time, I figured that she and her friends needed a Wedding 101 class. She was the first of all of them to get married. They didn't know the protocol of it all.


So in mid January she and I went to Macy's. Let me backtrack here. Kenna is not at home in the kitchen. She'd rather be hiking or mountain biking. She's very active. Standing in the kitchen chopping vegetables or pouring over cookbooks is not her thing. So to go to a kitchen/housewares department was almost enough to push her over the edge. I was in heaven comparing this blender to that one. This set of pots and pans versus that one with the glass lids. Kenna? Not so much. I could not impress upon her that yes, she might not see the benefit of candy dishes right now, but later when she entertains more...maybe she might need one. Or two. I ended up saying "Because I said so" more times than I can count. It was not the phrase she needed to hear or listened to. You will need a whisk at a point in your life. Trust me. Plus, the selection was dismal in January. Christmas clearances were well in the past and they hadn't recieved the new season supplies. Ok, let's can this idea and wait a few more weeks. But look, do you like the crystal or china? These won't change. These will stay the same. Begrudgingly, she looked, she hemmed and she hawed. And Cindy Lou-Who couldn't make a decision.


But! Wait! She'd bring Dave into this decision. This momentous decision of china and of crystal. Let HIM decide what we'll look at for the rest of our natural lives.


So they picked over and over and over again. Finally a decision was made. Sets were chosen. Crystal was decided upon that matched the china. Hallelujah!


And now, because of the less than stellar selection at Macys we decided to go to Bed, Bath, and Beyond. More consumer affordable and better selections. And now I got smart. I was going to bring on reinforcements. Someone who understood that weddings were the prime opportunity to stock your home. Someone who cooked and liked it. Someone who was not a mother-figure and could be listened to. Someone who...oh, hell, I made Shaina come along.
McKenna lost interest around the bath towel area.
And that china/crystal decision? All of it was canned a month later due to lack of interest. They knew that they were not the china/crystal types.
All I'm thinking at this point is, "Well, ok, I have three sets of china now myself. She'll inherit."




















1 comment:

Yvonne said...

Yeah new info Auntie I have really been enjoying both of your blogs it is like being there. Love you