Sunday, August 24, 2008

So exactly how old is he?

We love to kid Dave about his age. That perhaps he's closer to our age than McKenna's. It's not true of course, but we could fluster him about it in the beginning. Let's just say that I'm old enough to be his mother not older sister. Unless of course, his parents started really really young. Like 5.



McKenna started coming home and talking about this guy. This guy that suddenly popped up out of nowhere. And she'd talk about him NON-STOP. Do you understand me when I said non-stop. Literally...she would not SHUTUP already about him. Out to movies, out to dinner, out for drives....I could hear Sandra Dee in my head, "OOOOh...he's so dreamy!" Bob and I talked about it, smiling at each other..just maybe, we'd say. Just maybe.






The day came when she told us, slightly nervously, that this GUY was coming over to meet us.






"Ah, like, this is important to you, honey?"






"yeah, mom, it's important. Please talk to Dad and make sure that he doesn't scare him."










To all of my family: really? Bob scare anyone? really?






But it was so very apparent that this was an Important Thing. Ok, we'll do our best and off we went to work outside on the bbq. (Note to self: if you're about to meet your future son-in-law, put on some makeup, dammit! oh, and deoderant! and a bra would have been a good idea, too.) After a little while we heard some commotion in the house and, voila, there he was stepping outside, reaching his hand out to shake ours, and OMG he's older than McKenna!






Mama Bear and Papa Bear became, oh, shall we say, slightly territorial of our little baby girl? Because, hell-o mighty, um, this age difference? Didn't expect that.






Dave, I know that you'll be reading this at some point. We really weren't shocked...just tilted a bit. And you'll understand more when you have a little girl all your own. But we were so very impressed on how you handled yourself. I motioned a thumbs up to McKenna because, yes, he is dreamy, honey.






A few more weeks of dating and more information shared with each other. Like, "my mom's crazy about taking pictures and then scrapbooking them. If you know what's good for you, you'll always go along with her photo ops. It's just easier that way." and with that, here...on their way out to Apple Hill in the autumn.




















I titled this one "Fall-ing For You"..get it? Fall? Autumn? Look, if I have to explain it all the time, it's just not funny.



Did I tell you about their first child?

No comments: