Monday, August 25, 2008

Can I borrow your suitcase?


One evening, December 19 to be exact, we got a call from Dave. Could he come over after work to grab our big suitcase? They needed it for their trip (yes, I KNOW!) to Costa Rica the day after Christmas. Bob took that call, hung up, and told me that Dave was coming over and to fix a plate for him... you know that Dave, he's always hungry.



"Ha! Wouldn't it be funny if he was coming over to ask for our blessing?" - Me




"yeah, HA!" - Dad




Yes, we had been talking between ourselves about the possibility of the two of them getting married. Plus, McKenna revealed that they had been 'talking' about looking at engagement rings so my question above wasn't totally telepathic. I wish. Now at that point in the evening, I started to get a little anxious for his arrival. Maybe it was all wishful thinking. Maybe all he wanted was dinner and our suitcase. Maybe I was being a dillweed. Probably.



Dave arrived and we promptly sat him down with dinner at the counter while we all chitchatted. We talked about the economy, his business, plans for Christmas day, and their up coming trip. The three of us sat at the counter enjoying each other's company. But wait, he's toying with his food. What? Doesn't he like braised short ribs? Seriously? Short ribs? How could someone not---



"Well you guys know how much I love your daughter..." Dave said nervously.



That was all it took to get the waterworks flowing freely. It got REAL quiet as we let him continue speaking.



"Because of that, I'd like to ask you for your blessing. I'd like to marry McKenna."



I continued looking down at my feet because, well, I was crying and trying not to blubber all over everyone. Bob got up and went to Dave shaking his hand. I leaned over and hugged him hard. "Of course. You have our blessings. We love you, honey!"



The relief in that room, that house was GINORMOUS. All of us started talking at once. When? Where? and most importantly, "Dave, did you bring the ring to show us?"















He never did finish his short ribs.

No comments: